Q: How can I get involved in Japanese Kabuki Style Music?
A: Come and join one of the classes in Oxnard,  Hollywood, or New York. (or contact Mme. Katada Kimisen for more information.)

Q: I have never played a Japanese instrument (or any instrument before). Is it possible to start Japanese music now?
A: Yes, beginners are welcome and encouraged to join.

Q: Are children able to join the lessons?
A: Yes.  All ages are welcome.

Q: Are there any age limitations for students?
A: No.

Q: Do you teach private lessons also?
A: Yes, both private and group lessons are available.

Q: What supplies do I need to get started playing shamisen?
A. You will need a student-grade nagauta shamisen, bachi (plectrum), yubikake, and spare strings.

Q: What supplies do I need to get started playing taiko?
A: You will need two sets of drum sticks: Futobachi, and Kobachi (or Hosobachi) for Nagauta music.  Eventually, it is preferable that you obtain Nagauta style shime-daiko.

Q: Do I need to speak, read, or write in Japanese?
A: No

Q: Do you teach Tsugaru shamisen, or other folk shamisen?
A: No, but if you enjoy the sound of the shamisen, please try Nagauta shamisen.

Q: How can we invite you to perform at our institution/festival?
A: Contact Mme. Kimisen Katada ; please provide a minimum of three months notice.

Kabuki Style Music